South Hobart is a vibrant community with an atmosphere all its own. Whilst only a short walk to the Hobart CBD, South Hobart has retained its unique history tied to the Hobart Rivulet and dominated by the ever-present and changeable Mt. Wellington as its backdrop.
Why not join the Association?
Membership enables the Association to more fully represent the community and its residents before Council and the State Government.
The Association has also partnered the HCC in obtaining funding in 2019 to upgrade the South Hobart Community Centre, for example.
Previously, the Association conducted its famous and immensely popular Annual Bonfire and Fireworks Night every May for fifteen years in the Cascade Brewery’s paddock on Strickland Avenue.
Recently, the Association lobbied for traffic calming measures in the South Hobart Village (in Macquarie Street), which included traffic control signs which will make pedestrian safety for all much easier.
Your membership will also enable the Association to fund various civic projects.
Our book – “Beneath the Mountain: A History of South Hobart” by Dr. Alison Alexander is another example of the SHPA acting in the interests of the Suburb and its diverse community. The SHPA (Inc.) funded the project entirely to the tune of over $75,000.00.
Membership of the South Hobart Progress Association (Inc). is open to anyone over the age of eighteen years, living, working in, or owning or occupying land in the area of the City of Hobart known as South Hobart. The Fees have been kept minimal to encourage as many people to join as possible.
- Three Year Membership $5
- Life Membership $20
- Life Membership (couple) $30
Benefits of Membership
- A voice in local matters
- Working (two-way) relationship with City of Hobart
- A social outlet with other people who have an interest in South Hobart
- An opportunity to find out more about developments and improvements in South Hobart
- Monthly Newsletter delivered to your door
- Links to other associations to do with Hobart (such as Hobart not Highrise, Council of Hobart Community Associations)
- Information and offers from local and other businesses
- Email information about the timings and dates of meetings, and minutes of all General Meetings
Membership – How to Join
Join in person:
- Complete a Membership Form
- Bring your form and fee to the South Hobart Post Office, or the monthly meeting of the Association, (second Wednesday each month).
- Complete our online Membership Form
- Pay your fees
At the time of payment, you will get a receipt. Once approved, you will receive your Membership Number by post. [As all memberships must be approved by a meeting of the Executive, please wait up to 60 days. In the unlikely event that your application is refused, your fee will be refunded.]